Saturday, July 17, 2010

Different Places, Different Spaces


It amazes me, when ever I travel, even if it isn't very far, you can see how a community can affect the architecture of an area. For example, the closer you are to a body of water the more you see boat decor or "at the lake" decor. In suburbs you get the usual basic home package. Then there are the over the top houses, ones that stand out. Today my fiance, my parents, and my sister and brother in law are all visiting Thousand Islands NY, there are numerous castles there. I felt this was a fitting thing to write about. The design of castles is incredible. They used to take many years to make, which is why they used to house royalty...One castle in particular is Thousand Islands, is Boldt Castle. George C. Boldt, millionair, wished to build the castle out of Love for his wife Louise. He wanted the best of the best with every detail. In 1904 however his beloved wife past away...he stopped all new construction of the castle..he couldn't live their dream with out her...in 1977 Thousand Island Bridge Authority acquired the property. Since then they have renovated the castle, today it can viewed by the public finally finished the way Mr. Boldt dreamed for it to be for his wife.


This sad yet romantic building is incredible to me. I adore the story of love and craftsmenship. I can't wait see the renovations someday complete.

1 comment:

  1. I loved seeing the custom doorknobs on Boldt's houseboat. Nice touch. :)

    ReplyDelete